Dear cleaning professionals and facilities managers,
As the world reopens, facilities will need the tools and processes to meet the new cleaning challenges and requirements brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Flooring, including escalator treads have become a likely vector for the spread of disease.
From hotels and office buildings, to public transportation hubs, shopping centers and stadiums, escalators, like all flooring areas, will also require regularly scheduled cleaning.
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) in an ‘Early Release Article’ from the EID (Emerging Infectious Disease) Journal, Volume 26, Number 7 – July 2020 outlines the importance of floor cleaning and disinfecting. Link to the CDC article here: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0885_article#r5
“…perhaps because of gravity and air flow causing most virus droplets to float to the ground. In addition, as medical staff walk around the ward, the virus can be tracked all over the floor, as indicated by the 100% rate of positivity from the floor in the pharmacy, where there were no patients. Furthermore, half of the samples from the soles of the ICU medical staff shoes tested positive. Therefore, the soles of medical staff shoes might function as carriers. The 3 weak positive results from the floor of dressing room 4 might also arise from these carriers. We highly recommend that persons disinfect shoe soles before walking out of wards containing COVID-19 patients.”
The CDC goes on to define the best practice for cleaning all hard (non-porous) surfaces as:
“If surfaces are dirty, they should be cleaned using a detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection”.
If you consider the volume of dirt, oils and sludge that typically accumulates on an escalator’s treads, cleaning becomes a crucial aspect of any functional disinfection procedure.
Clean your escalators with our pH neutral, quaternary based Clean-TEQ™ solution to remove dirt then, perform a disinfection procedure on your escalators with a disinfection solution that meets your specific regulatory and governmental requirements, and apply it as directed with our Tread-TEQ tool system and Absorb-TEQ™ engineered tread cleaning sponge pads!
Clean your escalators for as little €5.99: https://escateq.com/cost-of-use/
Try Tread-TEQ Risk Free: https://escateq.com/tread-teq-risk-free-trial
- Use ONLY approved disinfection solutions that are ‘Quaternary’ based and have a pH of between 7-8
- Allow the recommended dwell time required for the disinfectant solution you select to be fully effective.
- Cleaning cycle times for a one-story escalator are approximately one minute or, one full rotation long. Allow the number of cleaning cycle (rotation) times required to meet your disinfectants required dwell time.
- Always wear approved protective clothing, including gloves and eye protection when cleaning or disinfecting.
- EscaTEQ BV does not make any claims of efficacy against COVID-19 or human coronavirus. Check with your local government or regulatory agencies to confirm procedures and disinfectants.
- EscaTEQ strongly encourages all cleaning professionals, customers and end users to refer to all relevant regulatory bodies. Since many countries have unique requirements and laws, local regulations should always be consulted before selecting and utilizing any cleaning procedure or any disinfectant. End users are solely responsible for evaluating and selecting products and processes and determining whether they are appropriate and suitable for each specific application. The information and other statements contained in this webpage and related documents and resources are based on both publicly-available information and tests, or experience that EscaTEQ believes to be reliable, but the accuracy, completeness, and representative nature of such information is not guaranteed. Such information is intended for people with knowledge and technical skills sufficient to assess and apply their own informed judgment to the information. Many factors beyond EscaTEQ’s control and uniquely within user’s knowledge and control can affect the use and performance of an EscaTEQ product in a particular application. As a result, customer is solely responsible for evaluating the product and determining whether it is appropriate and suitable for customer’s application.